Describe the prospective evolution of distributed and open learning for students.

After completing the course content, I’ve come to learn and understand a lot about distributed and open learning which have been present for a long time. A deeper insight of my reasoning and understanding regarding the history and context of distributed and open learning is in my topic post #2. (Link below)

Topic 2 Post

The history and context of distributed and open learning is important in my understanding of the prospective evolution of distributed and open learning for students because it showcases the previous trends and timelines allowing for an educated prediction. The Topic 2 readings along with further online content (Links below) let me know that distributed and open learning is a system that’ll continue to grow and isn’t predicted to slow down anytime soon because of the development of Internet-based information technologies allowing for its mass adoption and ease of access. Below is a screenshot from one of the readings that further dives into the timelines and also partly expresses the evolution of education themes showcasing that Distance education and open learning are predicted to be present long after the 2010s.

This shows me that online distributed and open learning are very important in the society we live in today and will only become more and more dominant. This is very useful to know because as an educator this would guide the way in which i would prepare for the future of education and ensure I’m up to date with the most effective ways. of relaying information/teaching.

This comment from my pod member showcases our initial thoughts on how far open learning dates back, with us both initially under the assumption that it is a system that came as a result of the internet, which was further cleared up by the topic 2 readings.

Major, C. H. (2015). Teaching Online – A Guide to Theory, Research, and Practice. Retrieved from http://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/uvic/detail.action?docID=3318874 (pp. 76-108)

Jordan, K. & Weller, M. (2017). Openness and Education: A beginners’ guide. Global OER Graduate Network.

“(PDF) Open and Distance LEARNING (ODL) Education System: Past, Present and Future – a Systematic Study of an Alternative Education System.” ResearchGate, www.researchgate.net/publication/276031945_OPEN_AND_DISTANCE_LEARNING_ODL_EDUCATION_SYSTEM_PAST_PRESENT_AND_FUTURE_-_A_SYSTEMATIC_STUDY_OF_AN_ALTERNATIVE_EDUCATION_SYSTEM.